Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Coca-Cola came to town. Pepsi Cola shot him down. Dr. Pepper fixed him up.



Another memory of my Mama....click on the button to read other trips down Memory Lane.


My little Southern Mama was raised in the heart of Atlanta (properly pronounced "Atlanna"...the second "t" is silent. If you hit that 't' its a clear sign you ain't from there or anywhere near there for that matter.) and took great ....that's GREAT pride in the wonderful, accidental invention, of Coca-Cola, which happened in a soda shop in Atlanna...AtlanTa. 

In case you're wondering, yes, Coca-Cola did indeed have traces of cocaine in it, which makes sense as it was originally produced for its medicinal purposes, mainly for headaches, "nerves", and "vapors".  Yep. From what I hear, a little cocaine will do the trick.

My Southern Mom worked for a couple of years answering the switchboard (never say she just answered the phone!) at the Cloister Resort on Sea Island. To some of you this may not sound like much, but trust me, this was a huge deal. Over the years the Cloister was THE vacation spot to TONS of celebrities, politicians, etc. Anyone who wanted to truly hide away without a lot of fuss could do so at The Cloister on Sea Island. Many Georgians still don't know about one of its best-kept secrets.

Mama would turn on that Southern charm every minute she could. She loved speaking to the celebrities and public officials and say things like "Weah so glad to haave you heah at the Clawstuh. How can Ah help you?  May I send you up an awdu of bald peanuts?"

"Can we please have some Diet Pepsi sent to our room?" asked one guest.

"Suh, (she didn't talk like this all the time, just around people she really wanted to impress) ah don't know where you ah from (side note digression: ...some of you may be thinking she would use the word "y'all" here, but NO. For the love of all that's Southern, I'm going to let you in on something...if you EVER, EVER use the word 'y'all' while only talking to ONE person, its a definite indication that you Ain't from around here. "y'all is a contraction of 'you' and 'all'. The only exception is when you're asking about the person you're talking to and their family who may or may not be present during the conversation, as in "Your Mama said y'all were going to the monster truck rally on Thursday. I thought y'all were going to the wrestlin' match."  You know immediately that the whole family (probably 12 or more) will be attending either the monster truck rally or the wrestlin' match...likely both.)

"Suh, ah don't know wheah you ah from but dowun heah in the South we only drink Coca-Cola products." (She was being hospitable...its ingrained...)

"Pardon me but did you know that there are 14 towns in Georgia where Pepsi is consumed three times more often than Coke?  And in the "South" as you call it, Pepsi is preferred by one out of four consumers?"

PLEASE NOTE: The above statistics are totally mythical. It was a long time ago and I don't remember the facts. The point of the story was he spewed a lot of statistics out about how much better Pepsi was than "Co-cola".

"Excuse me, suh," Mama really turned on the charm now..."Do you happen to work for PepsiCo?"

"As a matter of fact ma'am, I do. I am the Executive Vice President of PepsiCo."

"We will gladly have your Pepsi delivered to your room within the hour, along with a complimentary awdu of our very own bald peanuts."

Twelve cases of Pepsi product found their way onto Sea Island that day. And Mama got a raise.

26 comments:

  1. Cute story! you should link this up with Jenilee over at The Goodwin Family. Every Wednesday she does a "Wednesday Walk down memory lane." You just link up a memory and this one would be perfect!

    If you do link up, please leave a comment saying I sent you by!

    Thanks!

    http://the-goodwinfamily.blogspot.com/2010/05/wednesdays-walk-baby-days.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a good story! Coke is the ONLY product that passes my lips! I love Coca Cola! (I think they still put "coke" in it - every time I try to quit I get horrible withdrawls!)

    I loved the walk down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect that you're a lot like your mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story! I had forgotten about the little poem about Coca Cola, Pepsi and Dr. Pepper.. for sure a walk down memory lane.

    Hope you have a blessed day :)

    Erin
    http://homeswheremyheartis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is hilarious.... and I LOVE when you write your mom's "accent"....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story!!!! While I do call every carbonated beverage a "coke" I actually like Diet Pepsi better than Diet Coke these days...but I dont like regular Pepsi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If she'd sent him Dr. Pepper, wouldn't that have been a neutral party? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, first I LOVE the title of your blog!I was intrigued the moment I saw it at Wednesday's Walk! And that story is awesome. You're a great storyteller!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, first I LOVE the title of your blog!I was intrigued the moment I saw it at Wednesday's Walk! And that story is awesome. You're a great storyteller!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this story! And could hear myself saying the same thing. Our pedi. nurse is getting married at The Cloister at the end of the month. BTW, I take 3 Wellbutrin & a Co-cola every day "for my nerves".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great rendition :) loved the story! Your mama recovered quick from that one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL your Mama sounds like a charmer.

    (but I still love coke!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. All I can say is "Why, Ah do declare..."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my word! I loved this post! You are hysterical and adorable...and I really looooove your blog title! I am sadly a northern girl, through and through...but can I just say that I love me some southern girl talk...and sometimes I'm southern at heart. I mean, I love sweet tea with every fiber of my being...that says something right?

    Thanks for the smiles and laughs in this post. Brightened my rainy day...and blessed my heart!

    Blessings,
    Kelly Gerken
    Sufficient Grace Ministries

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this post is hilarious! I love it! :) I love all the southern tips added in! My brother in law is from south carolina (about 3 hrs from atlanta) and he gets on us for our northern ways all the time. :) thank you so much for joining in today! It's nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for stopping by and making my SITS day so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a cute story ! This southern momma is torn between the two - Being an NC girl I take pride in the fact that Pepsi was started in New Bern, NC but I lived in Atlannnnna for a few years so I appreciate the utter importance of a good ice cold refreshing coke served in a glass with ice(never in a can ) -oh foooey I should just stick to my sweet tea -HA :) I bet your momma was somethin' back in the day !! Hope you will post this on southern mommas. I would love to see who is pepsi and who is coke

    ReplyDelete
  18. Landsakes, I LOVE this post, LOVE it! I'm Kansan through and through, but I love southern everything! Thank you so much for sharing your momma with us! I truly enjoyed it! {hugz}

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too cute!

    My Southern side of the family have their own language. The last thing you want to be called by your Southern family is a YANKEE City Slicker.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for following www.singlemominthesouth.com on GFC! And you are right, we make a good pair, for instance, all I can think right now is, "Laud, I hope I'm using y'all correctly!" You'll have to be my southernism police :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Mama sounds like a very smart woman!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun read!! The title brought back great childhood memories. I hadn't heard that in 30 years!

    Found you through Sits. =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love reading the accent - such a fun post! Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. ha, what a character! sounds like she knows just when it's time to kiss some butt :) and it seemed to work out for her in this occasion! and bald peanuts? very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there....I found you on Sarah's No,Don't,Stop blog. She awarded me right after you. I loved your blog title so much I had to come check you out.

    Loved this story about your Mom. Been looking around your site, very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just found you through Wednesday's Walk. Love this post! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete

"Thank you, and do come back now, ya heah?"
(No she didn't...yes she did.)