Monday, June 28, 2010

It Doesn't Burn!

I don't know how y'all do things at your church, masque, synagogue, lake, whatever. Doesn't matter right now. But in our church we have a few folks that like to lift their hands when the "Spirit moves them" (or when they need an excuse to stretch.)

But now if there's a particularly good song being sung, or if its slow, with more meaning you'll see even more hands being raised. The point I'm trying to make is that its not something everyone does (we would probably lose our Baptist status) but its something that as the older folks might say "I don't care if that's what they want to do, but I just don't feel comfortable doing it myself." Okay. Point noted.

Yesterday we had a young lady sing "How Great Thou Art" as a solo. First of all, whenever a hymn is sung in our more "contemporary" place of worship, you're going to make some folks happy. Secondly, she did an awesome job singing Carrie Underwood's arrangement but adding even more country flair. Thirdly, she's pretty. I wish it weren't so. I mean, I don't wish she wasn't pretty, but like it or not, we judge folks by their appearance. People are more receptive to folks who are attractive. If you don't believe me turn on the stinking TV or go to the movies. I know there are exceptions but I'm getting way off track here. Finally, it was her first time singing in our church.

Because of the above reasons and the "moving of the Spirit", there were LOTS of hands raised. My good friend told me her 4-yr. old daughter looked around the room, saw all the hands up and slowly raised one of hers. Then, even slower, she raised the other one.

Then she whispered, "Do it Mommy!"

"No, honey. I don't want to. I'm fine."

"Go on Mommy! Do it! It doesn't burn!"

I'm going to let you draw your own conclusions, be they spritiual, emotional, or whatever you need today.

For me, I had to laugh out LOUD cause that's just how we roll!

15 comments:

  1. That is so cute! I've never done it myself either because my spirit is always held in check by my self-consciousness! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw how sweet! well, this assemblies of God girl (pentacostal) is quite aquainted with the raising of hands. What a beautiful expression of worship! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly how I feel. It if moves you, do it. But if you are not comfortable with it, then don't let them MAKE you do it! And applies everywhere, not just church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too cute. I don't raise my hands either, I often just close my eyes and enjoy the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that song. I don't raise my hands. I have never understood the meaning of that.
    I know I am a little slow but I don't understand what that little girl meant by her comment. I need help, don't I.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I would have cracked up!

    I don't raise my hands either. It's just not the way that I was raised and I feel weird doing it- more like I would be doing it to fit in rather than because I'm actually moved to. So, I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loooooooooove you!!!! I'm a Double Wide Lady. Home & Hips!
    I'm your newest follower!!!! Best Blog I've seen in a while!
    Stop by "In Her Closet". I'd love to see ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats so funny you posted about this. When my son was asked to play the piano in a church different than ours he was very curious as to why everyone is raising their hands during their service.

    I just told him it's the way they express their feelings when they're feeling the spirit. He was about 10.

    I thought it was cute how he looked up at me when everyone was raising their hands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this, Sugar! You made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree if He moves you then raise your hand and don't do it just because everyone else is and for some reason you feel obligated.

    I too was raised Baptist and sure enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I raise my hands up in the car when I'm singing praise and worship music. That's probably not good unless I'm ready to go meet Jesus though...

    Kids say the funniest things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad I found your blog (via Karen Mortensens blog) -- some funny stuff. :)

    Cheers!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  13. She probably said that b/c A.S. always gets burned--by a bonfire, a curling iron, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, LOVE comments from kids!

    Here from SITS!

    You have such a cute blog, new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol! Thanks for the laugh! Saw my 5yo raise her hands in church the other day, not b/c everyone was, but b/c I was. Sweetest thing.

    ReplyDelete

"Thank you, and do come back now, ya heah?"
(No she didn't...yes she did.)