Monday, January 16, 2012

WHERE CAN YOU SEE SNOW ON PALM TREES?

I have been thinking a lot about snow globes lately.  I'm not sure why.

My sweet Southern Mama began collecting fancy snow globes the last ten years (or so) of her life.  They were large, glass and contained very intricate pieces inside. Several of them were also music boxes that played music that went along with the figurine inside.

The ones that were most memorable to me was Scarlett and Rhett in a sensual embrace...and shiny snow fell upon them as the "Theme from Tara" played. (why was snow not included in Gone With the Wind?)

Another was the mask from Phantom of the Opera (Slightly creepy) as the snow and glitter gently floats down as Music of the Night played. 

These snow globes were beautiful and were lovely souvenirs of precious times, however you had to use great, GREAT caution to get the snow falling.  The children broke the globe of the Phantom globe when they tried to shake it up to see the snow.  Fortunately the figurine of the mask survived and with no globe, it was still a fine figurine mounted on a beautiful stand.

But those are not the snow globes I've been thinking about. I'm thinking more about the small, plastic ones that have palm trees, alligators, hula girls, the Eifel Tower, and cities inside a piece of plastic, drowning in water, mineral oil, glitter, and grits.  Well its not grits because they would swell in the water but look closely...The snow looks like grits.

Shake it. Not gently. Vigorously. Watch the snow fall slowly, no matter how vigorously or gently you shake it.  Shake it again before the snow completely lands. Or see if you can tilt it and make all the snow land in a pile.

Mesmerizing. Why? Why are these silly objects so popular as souvenirs? You went to Florida and did NOT see a real alligator. You did NOT see a hula girl. You may have seen palm trees but NOT with snow falling on them.

This is the only place Palm trees will ever experience snow. Same with hula girls and alligators. 

It does snow on the Statue of Liberty. When I saw her from the ferry, the first thing I remember thinking was the best way to capture this moment would be to shrink her very tiny, put her in a plastic globe of water and watch her with snow and glitter floating down upon her. 

That's what I'm thinking about today. How about you? Do you have an odd souvenir that reminds you of a wonderful moment?




10 comments:

  1. Nice post...thank you for so much for sharing...blessings...soraya

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Take a look at my blog and maybe you wanna follow each other?! :X

    FashionSpot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  3. visiting here with a smile. take care.. have a nice day ~ =)

    Regards,
    http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend not to comment, but I looked at a lot of responses on "WHERE CAN YOU SEE SNOW ON PALM TREES?".
    I do have some questions for you if it's allright. Is it only me or does it look like some of the responses appear like they are written by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing on additional sites, I would like to keep up with you. Could you make a list of all of your public sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

    my homepage: win money free
    My website > win money instantly free

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there I am so grateful I found your blog, I really found
    you by accident, while I was looking on Bing for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say kudos
    for a marvelous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to read through it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the awesome job.

    Visit my weblog :: nytimes626.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I believe your web site may be having web browser compatibility problems.

    When I take a look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine however, if opening in
    IE, it's got some overlapping issues. I merely wanted to give you a quick heads up! Besides that, great website!

    Take a look at my site ... http://www.cedarfinance.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm truly enjoying the design and style of your website. Are you using a
    customized theme or is this readily available to all
    users? If you don't want to say the name of it out in the
    public, please be sure to email me at: giuseppebeattie@web.
    de. I'd absolutely love to get my
    hands on this template! Many thanks.

    my site: Go to my website

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's what I was seeking for, what a stuff! existing here at this blog, thanks admin of this web page.

    Feel free to visit my web-site; binary options signals

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's up i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere, when i read this post i thought i could also create comment due to this good paragraph.

    My homepage make extra Money Online

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can definitely see your expertise within the article you write.
    The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you who aren't afraid to say how they believe. At all times follow your heart.

    Here is my web blog - cedarfinancial.com ()

    ReplyDelete

"Thank you, and do come back now, ya heah?"
(No she didn't...yes she did.)